our signature Shobha® Treatments ensure that anyone can undergo a positive experience. even the most sensitive skin is no match for our specialists & expert, all-inclusive processes. our services are sensitive & effective, making them skin-friendly, worry-free solutions to even those taking prescriptive pharmaceuticals* that may cause skin to be especially fragile!
after hearing endlessly about past spa nightmares from our clients, the Shobha® Family has vowed to go that extra mile to ensure your safety & promise to only provide super sanitary services. in addition to all Shobha® Specialists being licensed professionals, each specialist has completed & passed our extensive training program & continues to be an active participant in the Shobha® Quality Assurance Program to maintain our high standards & further develop his/her skills through workshops & individual reviews.
* since everyone is unique, we recommend always checking with your doctor prior to scheduling an appointment if you are taking skin-thinning medications. we also offer complimentary patch tests if you are interested in a trial run to see how your skin reacts before undergoing a full treatment!
benefits of threading
- the ouch(less) factor - threading is found by many to be much less painful than waxing. since threading only targets the individual hairs, skin irritation is kept to a minimum, unlike waxing, which often causes unnecessary stretching & removal of the face's delicate top layers of skin.
- an art of perfection - threading is very precise & allows our specialists to have greater control over which hairs are removed than waxing, resulting in a better brow shape for you!
- au naturale - threading is 100% natural, there are no artificial waxes, chemicals, or invasive techniques used.
- we take it all off - even those short stubbly hairs can be removed, giving you the option of avoiding that bothersome grow-out period.
- the taming of the flame - minimal redness occurs after threading. any redness that does appear, usually subsides within an hour, so your beauty secrets stay secret!
- anti-acne - most people who breakout from waxing tend to have much better results with threading. also, threading is dermatologist-recommended for individuals who are currently using skin-thinning medications like accutane and retin-a.
- wrinkle prevention - warning: waxing can tug, pull, stretch, & even remove the delicate skin on your face, eventually facilitating the development of wrinkles! but there is good news, threading does none of this! so instead of torturing your face with wax, opt for threading which will result in hairless happiness!
sugaring for the face
although we firmly believe that threading is the gentlest form of hair removal for the face, especially those with sensitive skin, some folks still prefer to wax, because it gets the deed done faster. and so, for those die hard facial waxers, we are now offering sugaring treatments!
please note: sugaring treatments are only available for the upper lip, chin, sideburns & neck.
|"best bikini wax" - new york magazine, 2006 - from bikini treatments to full body hair removal, the Shobha® Family devotes itself to providing you with virtually painless procedures while achieving the best results possible. our treatments are all-inclusive, going beyond the ordinary. we are fanatical about your comfort. because of this obsession, we stress the proper skincare before & after the hair removal process, so you leave feeling smooth, clean, & happy!
here at Shobha®, we maintain hygienic conditions for all of our treatments, especially sugaring & waxing. in fact, we were the first (at least to our knowledge) to strictly enforce the no double-dip policySM for all of our waxing & sugaring treatments.
original home of the no double-dip policySM - it's kind of creepy, but germs are everywhere. at Shobha® we hope to ensure a germ-free visit, using only sanitary equipment. we enforce the strict no double-dip policySM which means that the same spatula will NEVER be re-dipped into the vat of sugaring gel/wax!
double-dipping is common practice in sugaring gel/wax application in which the same wooden or plastic spatula is re-dipped back into to the vat of sugaring gel/wax during the procedure. unfortunately this technique increases the chances that any potential bacteria from one client could spread to another (yikes!). hence, our no double-dip policySM ; this way you can love your hairless skin & our affordable service without any of the worry you might feel at some scary spa.
pink glove treatment - obviously, hygiene is a top priority here at Shobha®. we guarantee that all supplies & instruments are sterilized after every client & your specialist will wear our pink non-latex gloves during each sugaring/waxing treatment.
complimentary patch tests available - if you've never sugared/waxed before & are feeling slightly apprehensive, we recommend dropping in for a complimentary patch test to see how you react personally. please get your patch test at least 24 hours before a full treatment.
sugaring dates back to the civilizations of mesopotamia, egypt, & greece. it is a form of hair removal that resembles waxing, but is actually much gentler & less painful to endure & requires a higher level of technical skill to perform. Shobha® Sugaring Treatments are available for all areas of the body, sans the face.
sweet facts about sugaring:
- secret family recipe - the unique sugaring gel is all-natural, consisting of only sugar, lemon juice, glycerin & water. it looks like honey! (natural ingredients mean natural reactions, which for most is no reaction at all!)
- sensitivity & pain - sugaring gel can be used on even the most sensitive skin; many find it to be noticeably less painful than waxing.
- oh, how sweet it is - since sugaring gel adheres to your hair & sticks less to your skin, you can achieve optimal results, with minimal irritation, while still removing the hair from the root. now, many waxers are converting to sugaring.
waxing here at Shobha® is performed with our sensitive formula which contains azulene oil, a natural anti-inflammatory derived from the chamomile plant that helps to soothe your skin while waxing.
- be clean - bathe like you would if you were going to your ob/gyn (for bikini treatments).
- be dry - cleanliness is appreciated, but please skip the lotion, you'll get better results if your skin is less oily.
- be hairy - your hair should be at least 0.25 inches in length (which makes it long enough to lay flat on your skin). please don't shave for at least two weeks prior to your appointment to ensure that your hair is long enough! also, if you've 'let it go' & the hair seems out of control, don't worry! our specialists will trim any longer hairs to the proper length prior to the removal process.
- be period free (for women's bikini treatments)- it is the Shobha® policy that our specialists will NOT perform bikini treatments on a menstruating client, period. generally, it is best to get a bikini treatment at least a few days before or after your period. the closer you get to your actual period, the more sensitive your body becomes; so be nice to your body & avoid making appointments on those ultra-sensitive days.
- be comfortable - if possible, wear loose clothing that day to prevent irritation in the post-wax phase.
- be relaxed - reportedly the more relaxed your muscles are, the better your hair removal results will be!
- industry insider info - surely, if you've read this far, you know that the Shobha® Family only wants to provide you with hairless happiness & we take all precautions on our end to make sure that we do everything to make your experience an enjoyable one. we would just like to make it known to all of our clients what others in our field may try to hide or deny...
even though we are all about sterilization, there is still a chance that sugaring/waxing can result in minor bumps, rashes, etc. for super sensitive skin types. for most, such irritations can be soothed & treated with over-the-counter topical treatments like hydrocortisone cream. if such irritation persists, we urge you to immediately see a dermatologist.
- it takes two to tango - we love doing our part so that you are happily hair-free, but we also strongly encourage that you love yourself as much as we do. below are a few self-help tips to harmonious hairlessness:
- please do not sugar/wax if you have any of the following conditions: diabetes, varicose veins, phlebitis, recent scar tissue, acne, sunburned skin, moles, or any other dermatological ailments.
- after exfoliating, be sure to keep your skin hydrated with a moisturizing lotion, body butter, or baby oil.
- also if you are using any of the following medicines or products (which make your skin ultra-sensitive), we recommend not sugaring/waxing: retin-a, accutane, tetracycline, glycoloic acid, & alpha hydroxy products.
- oh, one more little warning, if you're pregnant - congratulations (!!!), but please consult with your physician before getting sugared/waxed.
important aftercare acknowledgements - after waxing, your skin is more sensitive & can be prone to irritation. at Shobha®, we advise you to:
- gently wash the sugared/waxed area with an antibacterial soap in lukewarm water.
- hold off taking hot baths for at least 2 hours.
- avoid ultra-violet rays from tanning beds & sunbathing (for at least 48 hours).
- resist the sauna & steam room (for at least 48 hours).
- abstain from use of any products containing acid, i.e. alpha-hydroxy, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, etc. (for at least 48 hours).
ingrown hair prevention tips - outgrow your ingrown fears! - after sugaring/waxing many clients panic about the possibility of ingrown hairs. for this common concern, Shobha® recommends exfoliation! (but please wait at least 48 hours before you begin your exfoliating regimen)!
- use your normal soap/bodywash/cleanser with a Shobha® Exfoliating Cloth.
Shobha® Exfoliating Cloths, which are made from the natural plant fibers, can be used like a washcloth to help gently remove the outer layers of dead skin that can trap hairs from growing outward. these cloths appear to be very similar to loofahs, but are actually better since they are more flexible & machine-washable, which prevents the growth of bacteria & extends the life of the cloth!
loofah may also be used; however, be sure to store it in a well-ventilated place so it can dry completely. unfortunately, damp loofahs are often breeding grounds for bacteria, & can actually increase your risk of infection if used (yikes!).
- try an exfoliating cleanser with your hands or washcloth.
sugar & fruit scrubs are most effective on dry to normal skin types or areas that you only want mild exfoliation.
salt scrubs are best used for normal to oily skin types or a deeper exfoliation
- for a deeper exfoliation, try products containing glycolic acid (just make sure you wait 48 hours!). like the Shobha® Ingrown Relief Lotion.
gylcolic acid helps to shed dead skin cells that can clog pores & hair follicles, a major cause of ingrown hairs. beware, products containing acidic ingredients should not be used at the same time as other products that contain acids, benzoyl peroxide, rubbing alcohol, or any topical acne products (i.e. retin-a).